Skip to content ↓
St Benedict's Catholic School

St Benedict's
Catholic School

Part-Time Employment

Students can legally engage in part-time employment from the age of 13 years, but strict regulations apply to child employment. The sections below outline the criteria that must be met for students employed on a part-time basis up to the end of Year 11.

School work always comes first. School work is very demanding so please be certain that the student can cope with and maintain their studies. If their school work suffers, they may not be allowed to continue working.

Where do I start?

Satisfy yourself with the potential place of employment

  • Is the job safe?
  • Is the employer reputable?
  • Has an application form for a work permit been signed?
  • Has the employer shared a Risk Assessment with a parent/carer?
  • Have you raised any concerns you may have with the Educational Welfare Officer (EWO)?

Jobs that do not require a permit:

  • Children doing odd jobs around the house for parents/family.
  • Work experience organised by your school.
  • Self-employment (parents must take responsibility for the child’s safety & consideration to risk assessment/insurance).

What the law says

Both National Legislation and Suffolk County Council Byelaws state:


  • A child cannot work before 7:00 am
  • A child cannot work after 7:00pm

School Days

  • A child cannot be employed for more than 2 hours on a school day and definitely not during school hours.

Saturdays and holidays

  • Aged: 13 and 14 years
    • 5 hours between 7am and 7pm
    • Maximum of 25 hours per week
  • Aged 15 – until the end of year 11
    • 8 hours between 7am and 7pm
    • Maximum of 35 hours per week

A child can work on Sundays for 2 hours maximum (between 7:00am and 7:00pm)

  • During term time, there is a maximum of 12 hours a week that any child may work (this includes weekends).
  • Any employment, whether paid or voluntary, is illegal without a work permit.
  • This also applies to parents employing their own children in the family business.
  • It is the employer’s responsibility to register the child with the Local Authority where the child is intending to work.
  • An application form will require the parents/carers' signature and declaration of their child’s fitness to work.  The declaration also confirms that the parents have been consulted regarding the risk assessment.
  • A child cannot work without the knowledge and consent of their parents/carer.
  • A child cannot start work until the application has been authorised by the Child Employment Office.
  • The Work Permit must be carried at all times when working.  Any work permit may be withdrawn or amended by the Child Employment Office.
  • The child’s educational attendance is of prime importance and overrides any consideration to be employed.
  • A Work Permit is required and the legislation surrounding hours and employment applies until the child reaches the end of statutory school age (end of year 11).

What to do if you get a job

  • Get an application form for a work permit from the Child Employment Office or your school
    (attached below and available from the Suffolk County Council website)
  • The form must be completed and signed by the Employer and Parent/Carer.
  • Attach a passport sized photograph (this does not need to be of passport quality)
  • A risk assessment must be undertaken and shared between Employer and Parents/Carers

Examples of types of work

Examples of work a child can do

  • Newspaper delivery
  • Shop work
  • Office work
  • Washing cars by hand
  • Work in a hairdresser
  • Work in café/restaurant clearing tables/washing up
  • Light work in riding stables
  • Domestic work in hotels
  • Light agricultural and gardening work (no machinery to be used)

Examples of work a child cannot do

  • Sell or deliver alcohol
  • Deliver milk or fuel
  • Collect money or sell door to door
  • Use chemicals
  • Collect or sort refuse
  • Work in telephone sales
  • Work more than 1 metre above or below the ground (on ladders etc.)
  • Work in cinema and nightclubs
  • Work as an attendant or assistant in a fairground or amusement arcade
  • Undertake personal care of residents in a nursing home
  • Work in a commercial kitchen